If you're looking for Charleston, SC homes for sale, don't overlook the downtown area. Charleston has a lot of great suburbs, and there are a lot of people that prefer them for their natural beauty, space, and peace and quiet. But there are some great things about living in downtown Charleston itself! Here are the best advantages that living in the city has to offer:
1. Lots of charm – Charleston has been described as one of the best-preserved downtowns in the United States, and you will see that firsthand just driving or strolling around. The steeples of historic churches poke up above tree-lined streets while a mixture of early 20th century and more modern skyscrapers dominate the skyline. Historic apartment buildings remain in use, while former industrial buildings have been converted to shops, condos, and apartments. There's a lot to see and lots of Charleston homes for sale in the heart of the downtown area.
2. A Huge variety of neighborhoods – Downtown Charleston is actually a large area with a number of distinct neighborhoods. Each of these neighborhoods has its own history, its own vibe, and attracts its own kind of resident. Check out this detailed map of neighborhoods to learn which Charleston one is right for you.
3. Close to work – Of course, one of the biggest advantages of living in downtown is cutting out the commute. Most people work somewhere in the city itself, which means that by living downtown you will eliminate the long drive and not need to cross the river to go to work. In fact, your commute could be as little as five minutes—or just down the block! Which brings us to . . .
4. Walkable/Bikable – Living in downtown Charleston puts you close to all the action and that means you can leave the car parked and walk to many of your day-to-day destinations. With mild winters and long, pleasant summers, Charleston is a great walking city, and that means more fresh air, more exercise, less money spent on gas and fewer carbon emissions. It's also a bike-friendly city, with a strong cycling community and light traffic.
5. Plenty to do – The downtown is the place that most nightlife and cultural events go on. It has the best restaurants, the most popular bars, lots of live music, and a strong arts scene. You will be living a stone's throw from fun festivals and great food.
6. Property values are only going up – Charleston has been an anchor of the South's economy and is booming, with lots of investment, expansion, and growth. While some neighborhoods will inevitably perform better than others, the fact is that all of them are going only onedirection: up.
What's drawing you to Charleston? Check out our listings at Carolina One to find the perfect downtown home for you!